For Teachers: Field Trips
Make learning come alive at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center with a school program at the Science Center or your school! As the only Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accredited institution in northern New England, our school programs provide a complete science experience for your students. From programs that address the New Hampshire Science Curriculum Framework, to the Gephart Exhibit Trail, to pre and post-trip materials, our programs extend your limited resources. We offer fun, hands-on exploration of the natural world where children can share the joy of discovery.
View our full school catalog online:
See programs for specific age groups by using the links below:
Choose from various types of programs at the Science Center, including:
- Indoor Live Animal Programs: These one-hour sessions in the Science Center’s classrooms feature live, native New Hampshire wildlife like beaver, opossum, skunk, woodchuck, peregrine falcon, barred owl, and many more.
November 2 through April 30 fee is $5 per student.
May 1 through November 1 fee is $7 per student and includes entry to the Gephart Exhibit Trail.
- Outdoor Programs: Most are one and a half hour sessions, including a short introduction inside, followed by outdoor activities, and ending with an indoor summary, usually with a live animal.
November 2 through April 30 fee is $6 per student.
May 1 through November 1 fee is $10 per student and includes Gephart Exhibit Trail.
- Lake Education Programs: All lake education programs are two hours and limited to a maximum of 42 students per group. If your class size exceeds 42, you can split the group in half with one half enjoying the exhibit trail while the other half participates in the lake program, and then switching the two groups.
- Gephart Exhibit Trail: See native New Hampshire animals in natural enclosures and interact with and learn from the hands-on exhibits along the three-quarter mile Gephart Exhibit Trail. Allow one and a half hours for the loop walk (open May 1 through November 1).
Fee is $6 per student.
- Hiking Trails: Enjoy three hiking trails on the Science Center’s 200 acres. Explore the Ecotone Trail where field meets forest or hike the Forest Trail to learn about the forest history and animals in the forest. For a bit more exercise, hike Mt. Fayal for a bird’s eye view of Squam Lake.
- Programs at your School: Let the Science Center bring live animal programs to you! These programs are taught by expert teacher naturalists. Select from the programs on the website or customize a program for your specific interests.
Fee is $6 per student. For schools 25 miles or less from the Science Center, there is a minimum fee of $125 per program. For schools 25 miles or more from the Science Center there is a minimum fee of $200 per program. A maximum group size of 60 is recommended. Any schools interested in booking programs out of state are responsible for any "out-of-state" permit fees. There is a per mile travel fee for round trip travel. Please call 603-968-7194 x18 for the most updated rates.
- Programs at the Science Center: The minimum program fee is $100.00. The Science Center offers a one dollar discount per student when you book a second program for the same class. One adult is free for every five students. Additional adults pay the student fee. Paraeducators are free. Indoor and Outdoor program fees include admission to the Gephart Exhibit Trail. There is no minimum fee for exhibit trail use only.
- Scout Leaders: Bring your troops to the Science Center and help your scouts (from Daisies to Ambassadors and Cubs to Eagles) earn their badges and reach their goals. You can reserve programs year round, including live animal presentations, lake explorations, hikes, or hands-on activities led by experienced naturalist educators. You may also select from a variety of programs brought to your troops at your site. We will be happy to customize a program just for your group. For information contact Education Director at 603-968-7194, x 14.
To book your field trip contact Jeremy Phillips, Naturalist/Registrar, at 603-968-7194 x18 or email@example.com.
There is a charge of 25% of the estimated program cost for cancellations made within one month of your scheduled program and a charge of 50% within two weeks of your reservation. Cancellations due to school closings will be accepted. Cancellations are not accepted due to weather, except thunder and lightning or severe snow or ice. A rescheduling fee of $25 applies to all other date changes within one month of your arrival date. "No Shows" will be charged full price.