Careers and Internships
Join our dedicated team of professionals who work closely together to achieve our important mission to advance understanding of ecology by exploring New Hampshire’s natural world and our vision of being the premier environmental site in the region.
Janitorial Services Associate
The Janitorial Services Associate is responsible for the day to day upkeep and cleaning of the overall Science Center facility and for assisting the Facilities Director on other projects as needed. This position requires a rotating schedule of 40 hours a week from April through November with some weekends included and a schedule of 20 hours a week from December through March. The specific hours of work will be determined by the Facilities Director.
Specific Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Cleaning restrooms (Webster Building, Trailhead Gallery, Welcome Center including toilets, sinks, counters, floors, mirrors and dusting)
- Cleaning floors (Webster Building, Trailhead Gallery, Welcome Center, Howling Coyote)
- Cleaning windows (Webster Building, Trailhead Gallery, Welcome Center, Howling Coyote)
- Restocking and ordering supplies (Webster Building, Trailhead Gallery, Welcome Center and other buildings)
- Light bulb replacement and inventory restocking
- Removal of trash (Toilets, Kitchens, Hallways, recycle areas in Webster Building, Trailhead Gallery, Welcome Center, Red Barn and other locations)
- Maintaining a valid NH driver’s license for the purpose of using SLNSC vehicles to transport trash to the dump
- Trail opening and cleaning (during season before trail is open)
- Understanding and using machinery (weed-wacker, lawn mower, tractor)
- Understanding and using tools (hand tools, power tools, saws and all safety procedures)
- General help in facilities department (seasonal opening and shutdown, stacking of firewood, moving lumber
- Other tasks as agreed upon between Janitorial Services Associate and Facilities Director
The Janitorial Services Associate will be directly accountable to the Facilities Director.
Send cover letter and work history to PO Box 173, Holderness, NH 03245 or email@example.com. E.O.E.
Interns gain practical learning experience and knowledge, work with professionals, and achieve personal growth toward educational and professional career goals. The Science Center offers three Program Internships and one Marketing Internship each summer.
Program Intern - all three program internships have been filled.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center seeks a college student as a Marketing Intern. The Marketing Intern will gain experience working in a nationally-accredited nature center. The Marketing Intern will work with the Marketing Manager to help strategically manage the promotion and marketing efforts of Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, its environmental education programs, and mission to the general public, membership, and school groups.
Assignments may include: reviewing and editing web copy; editing and proofreading materials, including print and electronic newsletters; writing press releases; designing event flyers; updating calendar listings; creating video content; conducting visitor surveys; managing press list; analyzing online advertising strategy; assisting with special events, mailings, general office support, and business sponsor solicitations.
This internship requires strong written and oral communications skills, project management and organizational skills. The Marketing Intern must possess strong initiative and the ability to work independently. Familiarity with Windows and MS Office is required; Dreamweaver, In Design and Adobe Premier are a plus. Weekly stipend and housing in rustic cabin on site with other interns. Internships may be completed for course credits. Interns work under the supervision of professional staff and are expected to be available 20 to 40 hours a week. A flexible schedule, over the course of a semester is possible. Schedule may include occasional evening and weekend event assignments.
Send letter of interest and resume to: Amanda Gillen, Marketing and Visitor Services Manager
Volunteering at the Science Center presents opportunities to learn something new and meet interesting people while sharing your talents and skills.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer