The animal exhibit trail is closed for the season. In the meantime, check our calendar for all upcoming events.
Open meadows, mature forests, and marsh boardwalks connect interactive natural exhibits where native animals reside: black bears, mountain lions, raptors, river otters, bobcats, and more. Spend a day - take a self-guided tour of the animal exhibit trail and hiking trails, or learn more about our live animals with a docent led tour (Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. during July and August or schedule a tour), take a Squam Lake Cruise, enjoy the beauty of Kirkwood Gardens, and shop naturally in the Howling Coyote Gift Shop.
View Science Center Hours and Admissions.
The Science Center is a smoke-free property. Please no idling vehicles.
View Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in a larger map
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center is located in Holderness, New Hampshire.
- From Interstate-93 (North and South)
- Take exit 24 (Ashland/Holderness exit)
- Follow Route 3 South (approximately 4 miles)
- Turn left onto Route 113; our driveway is 200 yards on the left.
- Our physical address is: 23 Science Center Road
- Science Center Lake Cruises depart from the docks at Walter's Basin Restaurant: 859 US Route 3
- GPS coordinates 43° 43' 58"N, 71° 35' 21"W or 43.7328°N, 71.5893°W
- Approximate travel times by car from: Boston, MA: 2 hours; Manchester, NH: 1 hour
- The exhibit trail is wheelchair accessible with an ADA Recreational standard grade of 1 in 12 with difficult spots due to loose gravel.
- The majority of the exhibit trail is packed gravel.
- Contact us to reserve a four-wheeled motorized scooter (Rascal) or non-motorized wheelchair.
- Many of Squam Lakes Natural Science Center's staff members have pets of our own, and we all understand that our visitors often travel with their four-legged friends. However, because dogs and cats – or pet birds or rabbits or lizards – are not a good fit with the animals on exhibit at the Science Center, we find it necessary to have a policy for our furry, feathered, scaled visitors and their people. Only certified service animals are allowed on the property of Squam Lakes Natural Science Center. Please announce any service animals at Admissions when you arrive.
- It's best if you can leave your pet at home. However, if you must travel with your animal friends please be sure to park in a shady spot, crack the windows for ventilation, and check on them often to ensure they are comfortable. There are many hazards to leaving pets in cars so please be careful!