For Teachers and Schools
Make learning come alive at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center!
Give your students the opportunity to connect to the natural world through a program at the Science Center or virtually. All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
Virtually Wild Programs:
These interactive 45 minute live animal programs engage your students with two live animals. Students can join from the classroom or elsewhere. Programs are limited to one classroom per program to facilitate interactivity. All programs include a post-visit activity that students can do at home. Virtual programs are private for your class using a unique, nonpublic link, utilizing all recommended Zoom security and privacy features. If your school is not able to use Zoom for security reasons we can make special accommodations for Google Meet.
In-person Outdoor Programs:
In-person school programs at the Science Center are for small groups. These unique and up close encounters give your students the opportunity to discover and connect with nature. Physical distancing and face masks will be enforced. All programs at the Science Center from May through October include admission on the live animal exhibit trail.
Live Animal Exhibit Trail:
School groups may walk the live animal exhibit trail during the trail season (May 1 - November 1) without a scheduled program. Contact us for availability.
School Programs by Grade
Things to Know about Field Trips
All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
Types of Field Trips and things to do at the Science Center
- Indoor Live Animal Program: These one-hour sessions in amphitheater-style classrooms feature live, native New Hampshire wildlife like porcupine, coyote, skunk, woodchuck, peregrine falcon, great horned owl, and many more.
- Outdoor Program: Give your students an active outdoor leaning experience as they make observations, collect data, use their senses, and participate in activities. These programs are one and a half hours and start with a short introduction in the classroom before heading outdoors, ending with an indoor summary featuring a live animal.
- Lake Education Program: Take your students aboard our floating classroom to study the ecology of Squam Lake. These two-hour programs accommodate a maximum of 42 students. Each program includes an introduction and wrap-up in the classroom. If your class size exceeds 42, you can split the group with one half enjoying the live animal exhibit trail while the other half participates in the lake program, and then switch the two groups.
- Live Animal Exhibit Trail: See native New Hampshire animals in natural enclosures and interact with and learn from the hands-on exhibits along the self-guided three-quarter mile live animal exhibit trail. Allow a minimum of two hours for the loop walk (open May 1 through November 1).
- Hiking Trails: Explore the Ecotone Trail (1/3 mile) where field meets forest or hike the Forest Trail (2/3 mile) to learn about the forest history and animals in the forest. For a bit more exercise, climb Mt. Fayal (1 mile with elevation gain) for a bird’s eye view of Squam Lake.
Programs at your school
School Program Catalog
School Program Rates*
*Minimum program fees apply
|Field Trips to the Science Center||Exhibit Trail Open
May, June, September, October
|Exhibit Trail Closed
November 2 - April 30
|Indoor||$8.00 per student||$5.00 per student|
|Outdoor||$11.00 per student||$7.00 per student|
|Trail Only||$7.00 per student|
|Virtual||$150/program||$25 discount per program when scheduling two or more programs for the same school.|
|Lake Education Program||$225 per boat|
- The minimum fee for programs held at the Science Center is $100.
- There is $1 discount per student if two programs are reserved for the same class on the same day.
- One adult is free for every five students. Additional adults pay the student fee. Paraeducators with a 1-on-1 student are free.
- Indoor and Outdoor Program fees include admission to the live animal trail.
- There is no minimum fee for exhibit trail use only.
|Science Center Programs at Your School|
|Indoor||$6.00 per student plus mileage|
|Outdoor||$7.00 per student plus mileage|
- For schools 25 miles or less from the Science Center, there is a minimum fee of $125 per program.
- For schools 25 miles or further from the Science Center there is a minimum fee of $200 per program.
- Schools that schedule programs out of state must pay any "out-of-state" permit fees.
- There is also a round trip travel fee for mileage. Please call 603-968-7194 x 147 for current rates.
- If you cancel your reservation within 1 month of the program date, there is a 25% charge.
- If you cancel your reservation within 2 weeks of the program date, there is a 50% charge.
- Cancellations due to school closings will be accepted and no charges will be incurred.
- Cancellations due to weather are not accepted, except for lightning or severe snow or ice.
- A rescheduling fee of $25 applies to all date changes that occur within 1 month of the program date.
- "No Shows" will be charged full price.
Programs for Scouts
Scouts may (from Daisies to Ambassadors and Cubs to Eagles) earn badges and reach their goals through programs offered year round, including live animal presentations, lake explorations, hikes, or hands-on activities led by experienced naturalist educators. A variety of programs for scout troops are available at your site, too. We will be happy to customize a program just for your group. For information contact Education Director Audrey Eisenhauer at 603-968-7194 x 114.