Field Trips and School Programs
Make learning come alive at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center!
Give your students the opportunity to connect to the natural world. All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
In-person school programs at the Science Center or at your school. These unique and up close encounters give your students the opportunity to discover and connect with nature. All programs at the Science Center from May through October include admission on the live animal exhibit trail.
Indoor programs provide unique and up close encounters with live native New Hampshire wildlife, either here or in your classroom. Program length: 1 hour
Outdoor programs offer hands-on explorations of fields, forests, and ponds at the Science Center or the natural areas in your own schoolyard. Program length: 1.5 hours
Lake Education Programs give your students an opportunity to study the ecology of Squam Lake aboard pontoon boats. These two-hour programs accommodate a maximum of 36 students. Each program includes an introduction and wrap-up in the classroom. If your class size exceeds 36, you can split the group with one half enjoying the live animal exhibit trail while the other half participates in the lake program, and then switch the two groups. Program length: 1.5 to 2 hours
Live Animal Exhibit Trail:
School groups may walk the 3/4 mile live animal exhibit trail during the trail season (May 1 - November 1) without a scheduled program. Contact us for availability.
Virtually Wild Programs:
These interactive 45 minute live animal programs engage your students with two live animals. Students can join from the classroom or elsewhere. Programs are limited to one classroom per program to facilitate interactivity. All programs include a post-visit activity that students can do at home. Virtual programs are private for your class using a unique, nonpublic link, utilizing all recommended Zoom security and privacy features. If your school is not able to use Zoom for security reasons we can make special accommodations for Google Meet.
School Programs by Grade
School Program Rates*
*Minimum program fees apply
|Field Trips to the Science Center||Exhibit Trail Open
May, June, September, October
|Exhibit Trail Closed
November 2 - April 30
|Indoor Program/ 1 Hour||$8.00 per student||$5.00 per student|
|Outdoor Program/ 1.5 Hour||$11.00 per student||$7.00 per student|
|Trail Only||$7.00 per student|
|Virtual||$150/program||$25 discount per program when scheduling two or more programs for the same school.|
|Lake Education Program||$225 per boat|
- The minimum fee for programs held at the Science Center is $100.
- There is $1 discount per student if two programs are reserved for the same class on the same day.
- One adult is free for every five students. Additional adults pay the student fee. Paraeducators with a 1-on-1 student are free.
- Indoor and Outdoor Program fees include admission to the live animal trail.
- There is no minimum fee for exhibit trail use only.
|Science Center Programs at Your School|
|Indoor||$6.00 per student plus mileage|
|Outdoor||$7.00 per student plus mileage|
- For schools 25 miles or less from the Science Center, there is a minimum fee of $125 per program.
- For schools 25 miles or further from the Science Center there is a minimum fee of $200 per program.
- Schools that schedule programs out of state must pay any "out-of-state" permit fees.
- There is also a round trip travel fee of $1/mile.
Things to Know about Field Trips
All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
Programs at your school
- If you cancel your reservation within 1 month of the program date, there is a 25% charge.
- If you cancel your reservation within 2 weeks of the program date, there is a 50% charge.
- Cancellations due to school closings will be accepted and no charges will be incurred.
- Cancellations due to weather are not accepted, except for lightning or severe snow or ice.
- A rescheduling fee of $25 applies to all date changes that occur within 1 month of the program date.
- "No Shows" will be charged full price.