Know Before You Go
last updated 6/28/22
The live animal exhibit trail and hiking trails are open daily, 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (last trail admission at 3:30 p.m.) Squam Lake Cruises run daily.
Please review the information on this page before your visit as conditions may change.
Before Your Visit
- Trail capacity is limited. Morning sessions tend to be busier than afternoon admission blocks (after 12:30 p.m.) Reserving and purchasing tickets online ahead of time GUARANTEES admission for the day and time you choose to visit. Members must show their membership card upon arrival.
- See the Hours and Admission page for details about special admission.
- Please come prepared. We are a carry in/carry out facility. Remember that food and drink (except for water) are not allowed on the animal exhibit trail for the safety of our animals.
On the Trail
- Please follow a one-way path on the live animal exhibit trail.
- A small number of picnic tables are available for guests to use in our Picnic Area. Food is not available onsite. Tables are also available at Kirkwood Gardens.
Squam Lake Cruises
- Dress appropriately for the weather and remember it is cooler on the lake. Be prepared for rain.
- We do not offer trail and lake cruise combination tickets.
- Private Charters are a great way to see Squam Lake with your family group.
Frequently Asked Questions
After I purchase my reservation and enter, will my time be limited or restricted?
Each timed reservation group should have more than enough time to see all available and open exhibits, however it is important to note that the trail will be one-way, encouraging guests to move along while adhering to the physical distancing recommendations set by the state and CDC. We ask guests to refrain from backtracking.
Will you be open if it is raining?
Yes, we will be open regardless of the weather, so dress accordingly. All tickets are rain-or-shine. Refunds, rainchecks, and rescheduling are not available due to weather.
Still have questions? Contact us at
We are committed to the enjoyment and safety of our visitors, volunteers, staff and animals. Please help us keep everyone safe by following the posted instructions and following directions from our staff. There is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any public place where people are present. By visiting Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.